Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My Ottawa Experience

Last Wednesday morning, I realized I hadn't taken the time to share my experience at the conference in Ottawa here on my blog. Then the tragedy started to unfold last week and I hesitated in sharing my photos while I processed what was happening in Canada's capital. It was hard to believe. When I was touring the grounds of Parliament just a few short weeks ago, I was surprised at my ability to pretty much go anywhere I wanted, outside at least. I felt grateful to be a Canadian and to be in our capital and be awarded so much freedom to roam. I am hoping what happened that day in Ottawa doesn't change that experience for anyone who visits from now on. It truly is a remarkable building and I tried to imagine celebrating Canada Day in the capital....put that on my bucket list.


I was deeply moved by the war memorial. I didn't think I would be. The statue was much bigger that I thought it would be and it was quite spectacular. I took note of the soldiers that were on guard and wondered if someone was always there representing the armed forces or if it was a special occasion. I kept forgetting to check into this and then, unfortunately I learned about their significance only after Cpl. Nathan Cirillo was fatally shot while on guard at the tomb. I am deeply saddened by this young man's death, as are many other Canadians (and beyond). 


I can't explain why, but this year, Remembrance Day is going to feel different. With tragic events involving the deaths of Cpl. Cirillo and Warrant Officer Vincent in Quebec so fresh in my mind, I am going to feel so much more pride and gratefulness when we honour the armed forces. I am truly blessed to live in Canada.   


No comments:

Post a Comment